Well, here it is for download! Space Exploration: Serpens Sector, attempt one. A perfectly decent small space RPG. Requires Java.
- Explore and map the stars of the newly re-discovered Serpens Sector.
- Acquire and manage crew with various talents and opinions.
- Encounter alien species like the warlike Gloptians, desperate Thellurm, powerful Nemans, and mysterious Pan-Opta.
- Attempt to uncover the cause of the great calamity that nearly wiped out mankind a generation ago.
- Fight enemy ships in a turn-based combat system: hide behind planets, navigate through asteroid fields, hack enemy ships, and use your crew's special abilities.
To be clear, if I take up work on the game again, it will not be on the basis of this build. The code is antiquated and overcomplicated, I have a much better idea of how to make the mechanics work, and most of all, all the auxillary files like 3D models, music projects, and Photoshop files are lost to the mists of time. It would be an entirely new code base, building on the lessons learned with this version and the subsequent gameplay prototype. It would incorporate the lessons from the second prototype and things I've learned since, about interactive fiction and game design and programming.
This also means that this build is very much presented "as is". I will not be providing any bug fixes or support. I'm happy to receive feedback about the game in general, and discuss its content, but any such feedback would end up being used in a future version of the game, not this one.
So take this game, as a kind of isolated artefact of its time, an entertaining but flawed thing that went straight from alpha to abandonware. If you like it, well, you can always subscribe to my newsletter for very occasional updates on my future activities.